What are some tips to help my child practice at home?
- Decide exactly what you are working on each day. Don’t start at the beginning of the piece each time, start at a new place every day. Repeat a small section until it is perfect and then play it at least three times perfectly in a row.
- Check your fingering and use the same fingering every time. If you keep changing the fingering, your mind becomes confused and you’ll never get a difficult passage to sound easy and beautiful.
- Always establish the beat before you start to play and keep feeling the beat all the time. Counting out loud can help you keep this feeling. The goal of the practicing is to make the whole piece flow along with no little stumbles – feel the music.
- Listen, listen, listen, to the sound you are making. You are communicating a certain mood or character with each piece that you play. Remember, you are telling a story and it must be so interesting and exciting that everyone loves to listen.
How long should you practice?
- Two or three 10-minute sessions five times a week.
- Practicing should become a part of your day just like brushing your teeth. You need to get into the habit so that your day doesn’t feel complete unless you have practiced your instrument.
- Choose your practice time carefully and stick with the same time each day as much as possible.
Beginners: 10 to 20 minutes – 5 days a week
Grades 1-3: 20 to 30 minutes – 5 days a week
Grades 4-6: 30 to 40 minutes – 5 days a week
Grades 7-8: 45 minutes – 5 days a week
Grade 9 and up: 1 hour – 6 days a week
Should I purchase or rent an instrument for my child to practice on?
Please email Reinette (email@example.com) to inquire about keyboard rental or purchase options. She can also direct you to other instrument rental or purchase options.
What are the performance opportunities?
- The Junior Kindergarten student showcase is held at the end of their lesson package usually in early May.
- The year-end recital for Kindergarten to High School will be in early June. Kindergarten to High School students will also have the opportunity to play at a continuing care facility as a dress rehearsal for their school recital.
- Parents will be informed and invited to each of these performances.
How often should I expect to receive communication from my child’s instructor?
You should expect to hear from your child’s instructor twice during the school year. If your child is practicing at home, their instructor will write practice plans directly in their lesson book or agenda book. Otherwise, the instructors will be sending out two progress reports: one mid-way through the year and one at the end of the year. If you have lesson specific questions that are not answered on this page, you may email your child’s instructor directly.
What is the Make-Up Lesson Policy?
- Lessons missed due to school activity conflicts will be made up by scheduling another lesson in the week (either by switching with another student, or on their lunch break). Lessons missed due to school conflicts may also be made up through adding extra time to a regular lesson.
- If a student misses a lesson for any reason that cannot be controlled (illness), a maximum of two lessons can be made up throughout the year at the music teacher’s discretion. Notice is required to book these.
- Make-up lessons are not offered if a student misses a lesson due to holiday.
- When you sign up for Private Music Lessons, you are securing a specific time slot in an instructor’s schedule. The make-up lessons are also secured in the instructors schedule. If the student misses both their original lesson, as well as the make-up lesson day, then their lesson is considered forfeited.
- The make-up lesson days are scheduled at the instructor’s discretion.
- Exceptions will only be made if the child has missed more than 3 consecutive lessons due to medical emergency backed up by a doctor note.
What happens if the instructor misses a day of lessons?
- There are 3 weeks in June that are not booked for regular lessons. If an instructor misses a day of regular lessons, he/she will push lessons into that time frame.
- In the unlikely event that an instructor misses more than 3 weeks of regular lessons, the remaining lessons will be refunded.
- If an instructor misses one of the make-up lesson days, he/she will shift the day to another day in the next month, or into June.
What is the Cancellation Policy?
- Progressive Academy reserves the right to cancel any student’s lesson on recommendation of their instructor with a seven-day notice. The student’s remaining lessons will not be charged to the account. The last month’s paid lessons will be refunded against lessons owed in current month.
- Parents may cancel lessons for their child. They must give a 30-day notice to stop the payments starting the day Reinette is informed via an email to reinette@
progressiveacademy.ca. Students may continue lessons during this 30-day notice, or they may forfeit the lessons at the choice of the parent. This is in addition to the $75 cancellation fee.
- Exceptions may be made to the above policies due to unforeseen circumstances, this decision is made at Progressive Academy’s discretion.
What is the Refund Policy?
- Under no circumstances are there refunds offered for lessons that have already been taught.
- There are no refunds offered for lessons missed due to sickness or holidays, extra make-up lessons for these reasons are up to the instructor’s discretion.
- There are only refunds offered if the child has missed more than 3 consecutive lessons due to medical emergency backed up by a doctor note.
What payment options are available?
There are three payments options available: Annual, Semi-Annual, or Monthly.
- Annual payments are due in September.
- Semi-Annual payments are charged in September and February.
- Monthly payments are charged September to May. Two months are charged in the September payment. There is no payment due in June.
Fees can be paid by cheque or credit card. If you select monthly payments, post-dated cheques for the year or a completed credit card authorization form are required.